Anyone can write a poem. Yes, we’ll say that again, anyone can write a poem and that includes YOU. To those who never thought they could, this may sound like a daunting task. But all it takes is a little courage, some inspiration, and a few tips or ideas from reliable sources.
Remember yesterday when you poured your thoughts out on paper? You can actually pick a few lines here or there or maybe choose your main topic. If that doesn’t seem like a good idea, you can write about something else. You can write a poem about anything under the sun.
There are so many styles to choose from. Let us help you get started.
1. Pick Your Topic - Write about a subject you know well and feel good about.
2. Brainstorm - There are so many ways to brainstorm ideas. You can even ask for someone else’s ideas while brainstorming. It doesn’t matter what you list down. There’s no such thing as a silly or useless idea in this situation. Just keep adding whatever thoughts you come up with when you think about your specific topic. The main idea here is just gather ideas then sort out whatever you’ll need later on. Check out this link for some brainstorming tips: https://webwriterspotlight.com/8-brainstorming-strategies-for-generating-new-writing-ideas
3. Pick Your Style/Form - Here’s the fun part. You can choose from the countless patterns out there, get some inspiration from poets you like, or use no style at all and just write free verse. Here are a few resources that can help you with this step. You can start with a few basic types here:
4. Read It Out Loud - Why, you ask? Poems were originally made to be read out loud. It’s not the mere words that make a poem what it is, it’s the sound of those words when read out loud that makes it music to other people’s ears.
5. Polish Your Poem - Go through it one last time for proofreading or editing. Don’t worry about how big or small your words are or how correct your grammar or punctuation is. There is such a thing as a “poetic license”.
Congratulations! We’d be thrilled to see your poem in the comments below.
#KendrickCoronaChallenge #KendrickRealty #LockdownTips #Poetry #WriteAPoem